- Thousands of educators, parents, and students will be gathering on the Capitol steps on MLK Day to rally for our students' rights. They'll also be meeting with legislators and presenting them with the Student Bill of Rights. SVEA members will head to Olympia on January 16 to show our support for our students. This will be a powerful and impactful event. We hope you'll plan to attend.
- Join thousands of student rights advocates on the Capitol Steps on January 16, 2017 at 10:30AM. The rally will last approximately one hour. After the rally, groups will head to legislators' offices to present them with our Student Bill of Rights.
- SVEA members will be meeting in Issaquah at 8:15AM on MLK Day to carpool to the rally in Olympia. Carpools of 3+ will be reimbursed by the Sammamish Council for mileage.
- Planning to attend or willing to help encourage others at your school to attend? Email us at email@example.com.
- Our local and national union know student loan debt is a critical issue for our members. Our expert, Teresa Muench, from NEA Member Benefits will walk us through the process of Loan Forgiveness. This program stemmed from NEA's "Degrees Not Debt" Campaign.
- We look forward to seeing you on Thursday, January 19 at the Freshman Campus Library from 4:30-6:30PM. Space is limited. RSVP today.
- Refreshments will be provided.
- Please bring a Chromebook or other device to work on the process.
- In order to complete the process, you'll need your FAFSA ID: https://www.nslds.ed.gov/npas/index.htm.
- We're all learning the process together. Our NEA Member Benefits expert tells us that the only absolute disqualifier is if you have consolidated ALL of your loans into the private marketplace. Don't know what that means? We're not sure either. See you there!
- Questions/RSVP: Email Nate Ziemkowski at firstname.lastname@example.org.
January 24: Financial Wellness Evening
- Come learn how to make the most of your union membership and save more than your dues! NEA Member Benefits representatives will be available to talk about:
- How to get started on Federal Student Loan Forgiveness
- Financial tools to help you get your financial house in order
- How to save money with everyday discounts available to members
- Tuesday, January 24, 2017, 4:30-6:30PM at the WEA-Sammamish Council Office in Bellevue (1800 112th Ave NE, Suite 205E, Bellevue, WA 98004).
- Free of charge with dinner included.
- To register contact Charlotte Cole at email@example.com. Sign up today!
January 27-28: Pre-Retirement Seminars
- This two-day event is intended for those members who are within five years of retirement. Space is very limited. Cost is $35 for WEA members.
- Dates: Friday, January 27, 5PM-8PM (light dinner provided)
- Location: WEA-Sammamish Council Office in Bellevue (1800 112th Ave NE, Suite 205E, Bellevue, WA 98004)
- To register, contact Charlotte Cole at firstname.lastname@example.org. Only a few spots left!
- The 2017 legislative session promises to be filled with issues pertaining to public education. Join us for a discussion of the issues, including McCleary, the Student Bill of Rights, and a recap of the Member Day Lobby and MLK Day Rally in Olympia.
- Meet up with other educators on Thursday, February 2 from 4:30-6:30PM at the Eastgate Pizza Hut (15210 SE 37th St, Bellevue, WA 98006).
- If you would like to attend this FREE and FUN event, please RSVP to Charlotte Cole at email@example.com. Reserve your spot soon!
March 7: Special Education Workshop (Time/Location/Registration TBD)
April 13-15: WEA Representative Assembly
- WEA is a member-driven, democratically governed organization and the annual Representative Assembly (RA) is its chief policy making body. 7 SVEA members will be elected to represent our membership at the 2017 WEA RA in Spokane.
- Mileage, lodging, and meal costs will be reimbursed.
- Interested in attending? Email firstname.lastname@example.org by January 23.
April 25: Certification Workshop (Time/Location/Registration TBD)
Most Sammamish Council events are provided free of charge as a benefit of your union membership. Your dues allow our council to provide these events. If you RSVP and are unable to attend, please let the Council know so materials and food can be ordered accordingly.